Firstly, the National Policy Directions (NPD) aims to assess and improve the national port sector vision, policies, allocation of port functions, and institutional framework. As such, the NPD will provide a long-term strategy for the port sector that will enhance Sri Lanka’s competitive position in maritime trade.
Secondly, individual Port Development Plans (PDPs) aim to provide strategic plans for the ports of Colombo and Trincomalee. Inter alia, the PDPs will identify priority projects and ensure that port infrastructure and operations are developed in line with demand and in accordance with international best practice designs.
Thirdly, MTBS will provide technical advice on the SASEC Port Access Elevated Highway (PAEH) Project in Colombo, in order to optimize the interface between the PAEH project and identified port priority projects.
The attached photo was taken after the formal contract signing in Manila, in the presence of (from left to right):
- Kaoru Kasahara – Transport Specialist ADB
- Jagath Peththawadu – Procurement Specialist ADB
- Paul van Eulem – Director MTBS
- Janaka Kurukulasuriya – Additional Managing Director ADB
- Susantha Abeysiriwardana – Project Director and Chief Engineer SLPA
Press release 30 November 2016